Saturday, January 26, 2008

of great men and magical moments: dory boats.

my dad invented "dory boats". i think the "wild rumpus" was a collaborative effort between him and my mom...
dory boats goes like this. you're little, and it's time for bed. death sentence on the day. right?
well, once in awhile, not that often, my dad would say, "let's play dory boats!" we would all go upstairs to the bunk-beds, me and him and eric, my brother, gathering up "paddles" and gear on the way.
the bed was a dory boat, and we were hearty fishermen crashing our way out through the shore-break at pacific city. the seas were always rough. my dad would urgently instruct us to paddle this way or that to avoid rocks and general peril. commands were shouted to an able crew.

only once in awhile... not that often. that's what made it so fun. it was special.

like the "wild rumpus", where everybody just goes nuts in the living room. jump around and scream and dance, anything you want to. everybody. me and my mom and dad and eric. dancing around and acting silly in a modest little living room in 1968.

the world looked alot different then. all you needed was a sound boat and a good heart. love was implied.

my parents are great people. together and as individuals, they have proven themselves to be downright magical. i don't know what i would do without them.

i guess build a dory boat.

that's all for now.

No comments: